Monday, February 23, 2015

What I'm Playing

So, in case you didn't know, I play video games. I've been playing since as long as I can remember. The very first game I played was Super Mario Bros. on the old NES (Nintendo Entertainment System) and I've been a Nintendo fan ever since.

I know the popular trend and genre these days are shooting games that look like Hollywood movies, but that's not why I play them. I prefer old school games called "platformers" (games where traversing obstacles are the main goal) that center mainly on jumping. Yeah, well, I've never been known to be cool or trendy.

I'm still a Nintendo fan now and they're still hitting it out of the park with their platformers and adventure games in the three decades since they first started releasing them over here. Currently I'm playing Donkey Kong Country Returns on my Nintendo 3DS. The goal is, you guessed it, to fight your way through treacherous jungles and crazy obstacles in order to retrieve your stolen banana hoard. That's all there is to it and that's why I like video games.

Wacky worlds, adventure, cartoony humor, all are still alive in Nintendo's games. And I'll probably always be a fan of these games.

Of course you always get people who think I only enjoy these sorts of games for nostalgic purposes, but that's not really the case. I enjoy other genres like adventure games and classic first person shooters (like DOOM-- how can you argue with shooting demons on Mars?) as well as other niche games, but platformers are my favorite games. Nothing beats the thrill after finally jumping your way through a particularly nasty obstacle course after so many lives wasted. Fun is fun.

Anyway, I'm replaying my copy of DKCR as it has been a while since I went through it last and I have to say, it holds up. Up next, I'll be going through the sequel, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, on my Wii U system. That game is even better.

Here's to Nintendo for helping to kickstart an entire industry and here's hoping they continue for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment