Friday, September 5, 2014

What I'm Watching

Yes, it's been a pretty busy week up north. A lot of things have gone through, are still going through, and won't go through. In the meantime I thought I would share something I have just recently started watching from the beginning and hope you agree with me on the show's quality.

You see, I don't watch a whole lot of television outside of reruns. Mostly because of two reasons. The first is that I forget when shows are on and always miss chunks of the story. The second is that I simply don't care for most of the shows airing on TV nowadays. That said, there are a few really quality shows out there some of which are pretty excellent. This is one of them.

Today I'm going to talk about a show I just started watching and has already become one of my favorites. That would be CBS's Person Of Interest.

It is quite strange the amount of people I've talked to who have either never watched it, or have never heard of it. In fact, I've never run across someone who knew it existed and hated it. And there's a reason for that. It's an excellent show that covers some weighty material, never really letting up in quality. In fact, despite being part Science Fiction, spy thriller, and action show, it is certainly a look at a world that could very easily be our own.



A man named Harold Finch (Michael Emerson) has created a computer that would make George Orwell blush. It is able to track malicious behavior in order to track down "relevant behavior" and "irrelevant behavior", the first being terrorist activity and the latter being crimes that happen to ordinary men like you or me. He tracks down ex-CIA agent John Reese (Jim Caviezel) and enlists him as a soldier in a war on crime. You see, for these two, it's about more than just stopping crime-- it's also about atoning for past sins. Besides, both men are officially dead already.

I'm only hip deep into the first season, but the show starts off remarkably strong and never really lets up. Person Of Interest is about a battle for souls, just as much as it is for lives. The main characters, the people they meet, and even the bad guys they pursue.

While the acting, directing, and writing, are all top notch, the plots also deserve credit for avoiding to be formulaic and constantly surprising the viewer. It's near impossible to see where a plot is going at any one time, yet by the end it's always satisfying and never shakes from its task of trying to save people. With so many shows out there glorifying death and destruction it is nice to see a show that strives for something more. I know one particular scene with a kidnapped rapist had me on the edge of my seat as Reese legitimately asked the man what he should do with him. And that was only the fourth episode.

Now, I'm only a bit into this show, but it is already ranking up there for me. If you have not yet given this show a fair shake, I highly recommend that you do. It is one of the best shows I've seen in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment